As a Patient you have the right to:
- Be informed of rights (both verbally and in writing) as a patient (or patient’s representative) prior to, or when discontinuing, the provision of care. A list of these rights shall be posted within in the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery so that such rights may be read by all patients.
- Exercise these rights without regard to age, race, disability, sex or cultural, economic, education, or religion background or the source of payment for care given.
- Formulate advance directives regarding patient’s healthcare, and have Pierce Street Same Day Surgery staff and practitioners who provide care in the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery comply with these directives (to the extent provided by state laws and regulations).
- Be treated with dignity and receive considerate and respectful care provided in a safe environment free from all forms of abuse, neglect or harassment.
- Remain free from seclusion or restraints or any form that are not medically necessary.
- Expect reasonable safety while in the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery.
- The name of the physician and staff who will be providing care and the name and professional relationships of other physicians and non-physicians who will participate in care.
- Receive appropriate information regarding provider credentialing.
- Receive as much information about any proposed treatment or procedure as needed in order to give informed consent or to refuse this course of treatment. Except in emergencies, this information shall include a description of the procedure or treatment, the medically significant risks involved in this treatment, alternate course of treatment or non-treatment and the risks involved in each in terms the patient can understand.
- Participate actively in decisions regarding medical care. To the extent permitted by law, this includes the right to request and/or refuse treatment.
- Express a complaint regarding care or any violation of your rights without being subjected to discrimination or reprisal.
- Be advised of the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery grievance process should the patient wish to communicate a concern regarding the quality of the care patient receives. Notification of thegrievance process includes: whom to contact to file a grievance, and that patient will be provided with a written notice of the grievance determination that contains the name of the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery contact person, the steps taken on patient’s behalf to investigate the grievance, the results of the grievance and the grievance completion date.
- Change physicians if desired, either within the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery or another physician of the patient’s choice.
- Access information contained in patient’s medical records within a reasonable time frame in accordance with state/ federal laws and regulations.
- Reasonable responses to any reasonable requests made for service.
- Leave the Pierce Street Same Day Surgery even against the advice of the attending physician.
- Reasonable continuity of care.
- Be informed by the attending physician or designee of the continuing health care requirements following discharge.
- Obtain information before scheduled surgery about payment requirements of the bill, regardless of source of payment. Examine and receive an explanation of the bill regardless of source of payment.
- If eligible for Medicare, to know upon request and in advance of treatment whether a healthcare provider or facility accepts the Medicare assignment rate.
- Be advised if physician/Pierce Street Same Day Surgery proposes to engage in or perform human experimentation affecting the care or treatment. The patient has the right to refuse to participate in such research projects or clinical trials.
- Receive appropriate knowledge regarding absence of malpractice insurance.
- Receive pastoral care as requested and as appropriate to patient’s needs.
All Pierce Street Same Day Surgery personnel, medical staff members and contracted agency personnel performing patient care activities shall observe these patient’s rights.
If you want to file a grievance or complaint, click here.